New Landlords - Advice On Getting Your Electrical Safety Certificate


As a new landlord, you'll need an Electrical Safety Certificate (issued by your local authority) in order to comply with the law.  But what action do you need to take in order to get your all-important certificate?  Read on for a helpful guide.

Your responsibilities as a landlord

In order to qualify for an Electrical Safety Certificate, you must be able to prove the following:

  1. Your rental property's electrical installations (i.e. light fittings and power sockets) are all safe and well-maintained throughout your tenant's occupation.  
  2. Any electrical appliances are safe and have a CE marking.  
  3. If the house is used for multiple occupants, for example student accommodation, inspections and testing of all electrical appliances and installations must be carried out by a qualified and registered electrician, every five years or so as a minimum.

Although not a legal requirement, it's recommended that you carry out visual inspections of the electrics in your rental properties on an annual basis.  Any work that you have carried out should always be done by a registered electrician to ensure that you continue to comply with the relevant building regulations for the property. 

Professional inspections

Having the electrics in your rental property inspected is a key part of obtaining (and keeping) your electrical safety certification.  These inspections must always be carried out by a professional electrician who will issue you with an Electrical Condition Report on completion of the inspection.  This report will detail any necessary remedial works that are recommended by the contractor, and you should have any repairs carried out as soon as possible.

Portable Appliance Test (PAT) 

Any portable electrical appliances that you supply to your tenants, for example microwave ovens, kettles, irons etc, must be tested for safety by a registered electrician.  This testing also includes any cables and plugs that are used with each appliance.

Although there are no specific timescales given for testing, it's advisable to have items that are in heavy use or are moved frequently checked annually.  You'll be given an Electrical Condition Report for each item tested, which will give recommendations for replacement of faulty items as necessary.  Your electrician will also place a 'PAT tested' sticker on every item that's been tested.

If necessary, you'll need to throw out any damaged appliances and replace them immediately.

In conclusion

In order to operate legally as a landlord, all your rental properties must have an Electrical Safety Certificate, before your tenants take up residence.  For more advice and information on whether your property meets the legal requirements for landlords, have a chat with a local registered electrician.


29 July 2016

Best Questions to Ask Electricians and Other Tips and Ideas

Welcome to my blog. My name is Mia. A few years ago, my partner and I bought an old home. It needed to have all new wiring installed, and through that process of working closely with a fabulous electrician, I learned a lot. I learned everything, from which questions to ask, to how to do a bit of wiring on my own. If you are hiring an electrician, you need to explore my posts. I hope they help guide you in the right direction. Now, that our home is finally, for the first time, not in the midst of a repair or project, I decided to start this blog. In addition, I also like to fish and read.